Sunday, June 20, 2010

Hey Joe. What Do You Mean Joe? I Don't Even Know You.

When did it become acceptable for service people to call you by your first name rather than by Mr. Lastname?  It appears that this is even part of the training by the business owners or managers.  I seem to recall, years ago, when I worked as a cashier at Wal-Mart that they instructed up that if the customer used a check or credit card we were to address them by first name.

I admit, I have allowed my children to be much more informal with adults in their life than I think is healthy.

How have we come to this point.  I think that kids are much more well behaved when adults are treated as not just another one of the kids in there class at school or whatever.  I have noticed neighborhood kids that don't even know me being very surly with me.  I have also noticed kids that I teach using phrases like, "You're not my dad.  You can't tell me what to do."

I recognize that there are adults that have done horrible things to kids and kids should be educated and protected on how to deal with those situations.  Kids can be cautious and yet still be respectful.

Service workers can show me respect without being familiar.

No comments: