Friday, February 01, 2013

Take Your 18-20 Year Old To The Bar Day

I was listening to a discussion with Colorado Senator Greg Brophy and Jerry Doyle.  I researched Doyle and found that he was an actor on Babylon 5 who I really liked.  His voice did not sound familiar at all, but it was an interesting surprise.

My admiration of Doyle's acting aside, the topic he and Brophy were discussing was weird.  Apparently Brophy has introduced legislation that would allow parents to buy alcohol for their 18- to 20-year-old children in Colorado bars and restaurants.

Both Doyle and Brophy used the argument of 18-20 years can vote and be drafted, so they should be allowed to drink.  I would propose that perhaps they shouldn't have the right to drink and also should maybe wait until 21 to join the army and vote as well.  I haven't thought that out completely, but when they started talking about taking your kids to the bar during sporting events to teach them about how to drink I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

Doyle proposed not only that, but also that once the parent and child had too much to drink the parent could have a conversation with the child about how they are both too drunk to drive and assess the options on how to get home.  There are so many holes in that theory.

First, how about teach them to drink responsibly, if there is such a thing, and not get too inebriated to drive.

Second, a bar is a place to teach people how to behave?

Third, people's behavior while watching a football game in a bar does not teach people how to behave responsibly.

No comments: